The Lucas Farms neighborhood occupies an area in the southern blocks of the Central Planning District extending south from Kirkwood Avenue to Highland Avenue and DeForest avenues and from Van Buren Street or Webster Street on the west to Lower Muscatine Road on the east. Subdivisions in the Lucas Farms Neighborhood were established during the 1920s and later focused on the blocks south of Kirkwood Avenue. They included the S.J. Kirkwood Homestead Addition (1924) and the Kirkwood Place Addition (1925), the latter platted by Iowa City developer Bert Manville. Additions made between 1935 and 1955 included Kirkwood Circle (1939), C.R. Regan Addition (1950), Highland Addition Part 3 (1955), and Plum Grove Part 3 (1955). The main blocks in this neighborhood of historic and architectural interest front on the intersecting blocks of Ginter, Friendly, Highland, Pickard, and Yewell streets and include good examples of suburban development in Iowa City during the 1920s–1930s.
The multi-block area along Ginter, Friendly, Highland, Pickard, and Yewell streets contains a dozen or more Moffitt stone cottages, most of which were identified as eligible for National Register listing in the in MPD form for “The Small Homes of Howard F. Moffitt in Iowa City and Coralville, Iowa, 1924-1943” listed on the National Register in 1993.