Woodlawn is an enclave of 14 well-preserved late 19th and early 20th century residences located at the Y-shaped junction of Iowa Avenue, Evans Street, and Muscatine Avenue. “Governor’s Square” located southwest of Woodlawn, was originally planned as the location for the governor’s residence. After the capital relocated to Des Moines in 185, these plans were abandoned and Governor’s Square was replatted for house lots. In 1889 S.M. Clark’s Sub-division, which contains Woodlawn, was platted east of the terminus of Iowa Avenue. Beginning in the 1880s houses were built along Woodlawn Avenue’s spacious lots featuring Gothic Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, Stick/Eastlake, and Tudor Revival styles. Through the years, a Woodlawn address, like that of South Summit Street, connoted prestige. The Woodlawn Historic District was listed on the National Register in 199 and became a local historic district in 1983. Since that time, 15 design reviews have been conducted. Several buildings and mature landscape elements on Woodlawn were seriously damaged in the April 2006 tornado.